General Data Protection Regulations
From May 2018, the new EU General Data Protection Regulations come into force in the UK. Granby is currently getting ready to ensure that we will be compliant - even Brexit won't impact on our responsibilities under this legislation.
Schools will be their own data controllers and will be responsible for their own data protection compliance, but we know that we will need expert advice and guidance because we don't currently have the necessary skills, knowledge or capacity to implement it at this stage without support. We will be using Leicester City Council's Information Governance and Risk Team's package of policies and guidance and attending meetings with them to help us along the way.
We are currently learning about:
- What GDPR is and what it means for us
- How the GDPR differs from the current Data Protection Act
- Whether we will need to appoint a Data Protection Officer
- New legal requirements for reporting data breaches
- Big new fines for non compliance (so that we can avoid them)!
- Keeping children's data safe online
- How to avoid rogue businesses offering us magical soluntions